- making money with blogs vs. making money because of blogs
- with blogs (words / content as product): ads; selling something; donations; stuff writer – some jobs seem to appear; (‘nickle and dime mindset’)
- because of: networking mechanism; solicit your ideas; blogs as relationship tools (with potential partners, customers); as a laboratory; as a reference for what you have been thinking or doing;
- questions framing the topic: do you write for readers? do you deliver content? do you have an audience? is your blog a brand? what do you want to get out from blogging (passionate thinking / a job)?
- tons of use cases for blogs with different implications (journalistic, marketing, entertaining, educational,…) – there is no monolitic approch, but blogs can be leveraged for many things.
- business blogs – not the same old marketing hogwash please, but real people behind the facade (Scoble effect).
- no thrill possibilities for money: provide infrastructure
- brand: borrowed from the cattle industry
- social and cultural capital: if you start writing for a newspaper you inherit the reputation from day one. As blogger you start from below zero and need to build this trust. This is a valuable lesson.